Murphy is a small, fast-growing community with a history that goes back to the early 1900’s. Murphy is located in southeastern Collin county, on the outer fringe of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Situated midway between Plano and Wylie on FM 544, Murphy is two miles south of the famous South Fork Ranch. Its borders enclosing only 3.8 square miles and shares borders with Plano, Richardson, Wylie, Sachse, and Parker. It is approximately 20 miles from downtown Dallas and about 30 miles from D/FW Airport.
The community supports plans to continue to foster the country-living atmosphere, though with fewer large lots. Minimum lot sizes are 9,000 square feet, and the average lot size trend toward 12,000 square feet.
Several subdivisions have begun building and are occupied. The newest approved development at this time is 470 acres on the northeast side of the city along Maxwell Creek. The country living theme is expressed in this development by a linear park, which is expected to include a hike-and-bike trail. The major new feature to be noted in the Future Land Use Plan is a central business district at the northeast and northwest corners of the intersection of FM 544 and Murphy Road. This is expected to encompass a park-like area with offices and stores fronting on a central plaza. The municipal complex is comprised of a total of four buildings to serve Fire, Police, City Administration and Public Works.
With the opening of the President George Bush Tollway, access to the west became a reality in 1999. The highway is a major factor in the growth of the economy of Southeast Collin County. Its impact on Murphy has already been felt in the rapid expansion as new homes have been built, with the boom starting in 1999. The population in late 2002 was about 6500 and has continued to grow to around 10,000 in 2006.